Have you heard the buzz about the VW Atlas SUV? For the first time, Volkswagen is building an SUV that’s sized for the active American family. It’s built in the U.S., for the U.S., and it’s specifically tailored for the U.S. market. Here are just a few other reasons why we think you’ll love the 2018 Atlas.
#1: Lots of Space
The Atlas is the biggest Volkswagen currently offered in the United States at 198.3 inches long, 77.9 inches wide, and 69.6 inches high. You’ll find the Atlas holds all the gear an active family needs, from strollers to sports equipment.
In addition to lots of cargo, the Atlas also hauls lots of people. It’s a true seven-seater with a real third row that’s comfortable for adults. The Atlas offers a sliding middle row to help increase legroom. Plus, the second row flips forward (rather than folding) for easy access to the third row. This allows you to leave an empty child safety seat in place while everyone else piles into the third row.
Overall, the Atlas offers an impressive 96.8 cubic feet of cargo space with the second- and third-row seats folded down. You also have the option of a 50/50-split third row and 60/40-split second row for even more flexibility.
#2: Outstanding Features
Volkswagen engineers thought of every detail when designing the Atlas:
- Digital Cockpit: The 12.3″ Active Information Display lets you see all the information you need —your speed, estimated fuel consumption, Driver Assistance settings, and even a navigation display. Customize the display to show exactly the information that’s important to you.
- Car-Net App-Connect: Volkswagen Car-Net® App-Connect allows you to access and use music, mapping, and other select apps on your dash from your smartphone. You’ll be able to bring your technology (and your music!) with you and integrate them seamlessly into your driving experience.
- Thoughtful touches throughout: You’ll find added details throughout the Atlas, including space for everyone’s water bottle and then some: There are 17 — yes 17 — cupholders.
#3: Driver Assistance
Volkswagen is often on the cutting edge of driver safety, and the Atlas is no exception. The robust Driver Assistance features include:
- Pedestrian Monitoring: A radar sensor detects a pedestrian headed into your path. If the driver doesn’t respond to an audible warning, the system applies the brakes automatically.
- Front Assist: Front sensors help monitor traffic, alert you to a possible collision with the vehicle ahead, and activate Autonomous Emergency Braking.
- Blind Spot Monitor: Sensors detect what you might miss when changing lanes and alert you to other cars in your blind spot.
- Area View: A push of the parking aid button or a shift into reverse provides a combined overhead image from four cameras. This allows you to fully assess your surroundings from multiple views.
2018 VW Atlas R-Line
#4: Five Trim Levels & a Weekend Edition
The Atlas is available in five trim levels, including the R-Line package on the upper-end SE and SEL trims. The R-Line exterior treatment includes 20-inch aluminum twin-spoke wheels, distinctive front and rear bumpers, nearly invisible side skirts, and R-Line badging.
If you’re looking for additional features to facilitate your weekend adventures, check out the Atlas Weekend Edition. This option gives you an “Urban Loader” top cargo box with an expandable 17.7 cubic feet of extra space, along with carrier bars for skis, snowboards, bikes, and whatever else you might want to take with you. Inside, there’s a pet-friendly barrier behind the second row, which means your dogs can safely join you on outings to the beach.
#5: Atlas Engines
The Atlas has the powerful, well-designed engines you’ve come to expect from VW. Choose the 2.0-liter turbocharged and direct-injection TSI four-cylinder, with 238 horsepower. For V6 lovers, there’s the 3.6-liter VR6 with 280 horsepower. Both have an 8-speed automatic transmission and standard front-wheel drive. Optional 4MOTION all-wheel drive is available with the VR6.
Questions? Contact Our VW Car Dealership in Gainesville
If you’re interested in learning more about the upcoming 2018 VW Atlas, contact our car dealership in Gainesville at (352) 578-2554. The VW factory in Chattanooga, Tennessee is currently producing the first models of the Atlas, and we expect to offer this marvelous SUV at Volkswagen of Gainesville later this spring.
In addition to the upcoming Atlas models for sale, we also have an amazing selection of new VWs for sale, all of which come with equally amazing prices! And if a pre-loved vehicle better fits your lifestyle, be sure to check out our various certified pre-owned and used cars for sale.
Sources & Photos: