Here at Performance Chevrolet, we’re all about family. That’s why we enthusiastically support National Family Fit Lifestyle Month, which occurs every January. After all, what better way to start off the New Year than with a healthy mind, body, and spirit?
Family Fit Lifestyle Month was created to encourage parents and children to work together to get in shape and be healthy. It is also a response to the alarming trend of childhood obesity. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), in the past 30 years childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents. In 2012, more than one third of teens and children were overweight or obese.
To help you and your family adopt a healthier lifestyle in 2015, we’ve compiled a list of 15 simple steps you can start taking today to improve your family’s health:
- Get physical – Try to be physically active for at least 60 minutes total each day. You can break this down into three 20-minute blocks of physical activity. Taking a walk around the block, going to the playground, cleaning house, or doing light physical exercises like stretching are activities the whole family can do together.
- Involve your pets – Pets, like all family members, need exercise too. Take your pets out for a walk or to a pet-friendly park. The kids will love it and so will your pets.
- Get into a weekend exercise routine – Weekends are great times when the entire family can get together for bike rides, hikes, walking, going to the park, or working out at the gym.
- Play and have fun – Making a healthy routine fun is most important since it encourages everyone to stick with it. Consider such non-competitive activities as biking, jump rope, playing Frisbee, or tossing a ball around the backyard.
- Make a new routine – If possible, try walking rather than using a car. Or use the stairs instead of an elevator. It’s also very important to get enough sleep. Kids need at least nine hours of uninterrupted sleep each day, and adults need a minimum of six hours. These little changes can add up to big results.
- Try new healthier hobbies – Gardening, going sightseeing, or taking up low-impact sports like bowling are just some of the many activities the entire family can participate in.
- Get outdoors – Family outings to the beach, or going swimming, hiking, horseback riding, fishing, or camping are great ways for the whole family to enjoy the great outdoors together. If you live in an urban area, a trip to the park, botanical gardens, museum, or zoo should be high on your list.
- Eat together as a family – The dinner or breakfast tables are great places to encourage healthy eating habits.
- Eat small, healthy breakfasts – Those pancakes loaded with syrup and butter are tempting, but it’s better to eat things like yogurt smoothies, multigrain toast, or fruit.
- Limit or eliminate fast food – Fast food should be consumed not more than once a week as a treat instead of a nutritious meal. Eliminating all fast food from your family’s diet should be the ultimate goal.
- Use correct portion sizes to limit calories – Eating just 100 extra calories each day can add up to 10 pounds of extra weight in a year. Strive for ½ a plate of fruits/veggies, ¼ plate of protein, and a ¼ plate of whole grains.
- Limit or get rid of sugar-sweetened beverages and caffeine, and drink more water – High fructose corn syrup is used in just about any sweet, sugary soda. Try water with a squeeze of lemon, or healthy natural fruit drinks.
- Teach your kids how to shop healthy at the grocery store – Actively involve your kids in reading food labels and picking out healthy snacks, like fruit or whole-grain, high-fiber cereals.
- Let the kids cook one supervised healthy meal a week – If your children are actually helping to prepare their own meals, they are more likely to eat their own “creations.”
- Take healthy cooking classes together – Learning how to cook healthy meals from the experts is both fun and educational for the entire family.
While you might not be able to do everything on this list right away, strive to pick one or two family fit goals to start with and work your way up from there.
Find The Right Chevy That “Fits” Your Lifestyle and Your Budget
As the Sacramento area’s premier Chevrolet dealership, we’ll help you select just the right Chevy car, SUV, or truck that fits perfectly with your specific needs. And we’ll work hard to make your purchase of a new 2015 Chevrolet or pre-owned vehicle fit your budget, too. Take advantage of “healthy” deals and manufacturer incentives on our lineup of 2015 Chevys, like the muscular 2015 Camaro, the spirited 2015 Chevy Malibu SS, or the all-new Chevy Colorado pickup, voted Motor Trend Magazine’s 2015 “Truck of the Year.”
Performance Chevrolet is conveniently located off I-80 at 4811 Madison Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95841. To contact our Sales Department, call 888-426-2098.. For Service, call 866-507-6578.
For more information: