By law, every vehicle in New Jersey is required to be covered by liability auto insurance. However, this does not mean you should simply choose the cheapest liability insurance policy you can find. Rather, you should be basing your decision on how much protection you need to financially safeguard yourself. To start finding the best auto insurance in NJ, it’s best to determine what your needs are. This way, when you begin to shop for car insurance, you have a solid goal in mind.
Here’s all the info you should take with you as you begin your journey into the wild, wild world of auto insurance.
What to Include in Your Car Insurance Policy
- Personal Injury Protection: Personal injury protection is going to protect you and your passengers should anyone be injured in a car accident. This includes financial protection if you must take time off work to recover from the injuries.
- Collision Coverage: Collision coverage should be added to cover the costs of damages to your vehicle if you were the immediate cause of a car accident. Of course, the amount of coverage will depend on the value of your vehicle; the higher the value, the more coverage you are going to want.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Uninsured motorist coverage should be highly considered as an addition to your auto insurance policy. Being involved in an accident with a motorist who is uninsured means that there is no immediate payout for your injuries and vehicle damages. In this instance, with uninsured motorist coverage, you will receive that payout from your own insurance company.
- Comprehensive Coverage: This type of coverage is one of the coverage types that isn’t always needed. However, it should be considered if you have a high-value vehicle. This coverage should also be considered if you park on the street since it will cover damages caused by situations such as flooding, vandalism, and even fallen trees or poles. On the other hand, if you have a low-value car, then this coverage might not be worth it.
What Makes Good Car Insurance?
Next, you want to consider which insurance company is actually going to provide you with good car insurance. There are two factors you should be looking at here:
- Customer Service: The customer service rating is going to show the company’s ability to actually help you handle your claims. Car insurance claims can be complex, so it’s not something you want to have to handle on your own. Although our Nissan service center and body shop will assist you in making insurance claims, nothing can compare with a dedicated agent standing behind you.
- Finances: The financial rating is going to show the company’s likelihood of paying for claims. You don’t want to be left facing a potential lawsuit because your insurance company is not able to pay the claim or drops your policy.
What Should You Be Paying?
The average cost of car insurance in New Jersey, according to Value Penguin, is $159 per month. Bear in mind that the cost of your insurance is going to depend upon certain circumstances, such as gender, income, driving record, age, and more.
How a Safe Vehicle is Going to Save You Money
Many car insurance companies are going to provide discounts for those who drive a safe vehicle. Certain vehicle features are going to lead to further discounts.
- Anti-Lock Brakes: According to NerdWallet, you can receive as much as a 10% discount for anti-lock brakes. In fact, New Jersey law requires a discount is given for this feature. You can find this feature in all new Nissan models, including the 2018 Nissan Sentra.
- Airbags: Generally, the more airbag protection in a vehicle, the higher the discount you will receive. The 2018 Nissan Murano, for instance, has a driver’s knee, dual-front, front-side, front-side curtain, and rear-side curtain airbags.
- Electronic Stability Control: Electronic stability control is going to ensure that the vehicle’s brakes are automatically applied in a situation where the driver is out of control of the vehicle.
- Additional Safety Features: Many insurance companies may also provide discounts if your vehicle has certain safety devices, including forward-collision warnings, blind-spot warnings, lane-departure assist, and adaptive cruise control. This is all offered in the Nissan Intelligent Mobility package, which is available on most new Nissan models for sale.
Now that you’re ready to find the best car insurance, it’s time to find the best car. As one of the top Nissan dealers in Denville, NJ, we offer incredible savings on all new Nissan vehicles, including the 2018 Leaf! Come pay our Denville Nissan dealership a visit at 3057 New Jersey 10 to begin your search, or contact our Nissan sales team at (973) 343-5004 to schedule a test drive. We look forward to showing you why we’re one of the best car dealers near Dover!