Winter Storm Stella was last year’s sharp reminder that Virginia winters can unrelenting and challenging. In 2018, the season looks to bring more of the same thanks to La Niña effect setting the stage for large amounts of precipitation in the form of snow, sleet, and freezing rain.
Luckily for you, there is one light-duty truck ready to handle the incoming heavy-duty weather: the 2018 GMC Sierra 1500. Here’s what you need to know about this winter-tackling beast, which is available for lease and sale today at our Rocky Mount VA dealership.
The new Sierra 1500 is available with a choice of three engines, all of which include active fuel management, direct injection, and continuously variable valve timing to optimize fuel efficiency and reliability.
The EcoTec3 5.3L is the choice for the efficiency-minded Sierra owner, as it’s the most fuel-efficient V8 in the pickup class. It produces 255 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque.
For the maximum amount of power available in the light-duty class, the 6.2L V8 is unsurpassed, offering 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque.
In the base 1500 models, you’ll find a skillful little plug-alonger in the 4.3L V6 engine, which makes 285 horsepower and 305 lb-ft of torque.
2018 Sierra Engineering for Challenging Winter Conditions
There is nothing more fearful than sliding helplessly on patches of ice or snowy roads. The Sierra 1500’s advanced GMC driver-assist technology is here to help you keep your truck on track in all conditions, not only for low-traction winter driving but also all year round. The following smart driver assist systems and GMC engineering advancements have put the Sierra in a perfect position to take on any wintery challenge:
- Eaton automatic locking rear differential senses slippage on icy surfaces and locks the rear wheels for enhanced traction.
- GMC StabiliTrak converts the Sierra into your driving co-pilot, especially when poor traction is detected. The StabiliTrak control module constantly monitors your steering input and the vehicle’s actual response; when the vehicle isn’t responding properly to driver steering input, Stabilitrak takes action, applying small, individual brake and torque adjustments to augment driver control and help you stay on course. During a lateral skid, StabiliTrak engages automatically to recover any loss of control.
- Hill Descent Control keeps the Sierra at a safe and controllable speed even when going downhill in rough terrain.
- DURALIFE™ brake rotors protect against the harsh, corrosive winter elements, such as road salt, sand, and snow. The anti-corrosive protection can double the life of brakes compared to conventional brake pads.
- Hill Start Assist holds the brakes automatically to prevent rollback, so you don’t have to worry about the vehicle behind you when switching your foot from brake to accelerator.
- Available spray-on bed liner protects the open bed from exposure to frost, ice, and other cold-weather elements.
- Galvanized sheet metal is used extensively throughout the Sierra 1500 design to stand up to corrosion.
4WD Sierra SLT: The Ultimate in All-Terrain Reliability
Whether on icy Roanoke city streets, un-plowed Martinsville cul-de-sacs, or bumpy Rocky Mount rural roads, the 2018 Sierra 1500 is no joke—especially in its 4WD All-Terrain SLT form. All-terrain tires on 18” aluminum wheels, underbody shields, and weather-resistant grille and body-color bumpers beef up GMC’s already robust Sierra 1500 design. With perfect off-road suspension, thin-profile LED fog lamps, and all-terrain badging, this Sierra 4WD is ready to go anywhere, no matter the season or road conditions.
For the ultimate off-road, all-terrain driving experience, the All-Terrain X package includes all the SLT upgrade as well as the following:
- Exclusive Goodyear DuraTrac Mud-Terrain 18” Tires on Black Wheels
- A Black Sport Bar in the bed for added roll protection
- Truck bed mounting platform for available LED accessories
- Sporty Assist Steps
- Bright LED Headlamps
- All-Weather Floor Lining
- Optional 420HP 6.2L V8
Multiple Truck Configurations
The Sierra 1500 is available in a wide range of configurations, including regular cab, crew cab, and double cab, as well as short, standard, and long beds. Advanced trailer and hauling technologies are available to take advantage of the Sierra 1500’s outstanding towing capacity of 12,500 lbs. These include trailer sway control, tow/haul mode with cruise control, powertrain grade braking, and an available Trailer Brake Controller to provide additional brake monitoring and fingertip regulation.
Grab a 2018 Sierra 1500 near Roanoke, VA
At Midpoint Chevrolet Buick GMC, we proudly have the newest 2018 GMC Sierra available for you to take home for your winter escapades. As a premier GM dealership near Roanoke, we’d also be happy to show you our other winter-ready vehicles, such as the new GMC Canyon or Colorado. Drop by to see our full lineup of trucks, SUVs, and cars for sale before the first snowfall!
Contact us at (540) 352-4280 or view our inventory in person by visiting our Rocky Mount car dealership at 17801 Virgil Goode Highway.
Sources & Photos: