“Should I buy a new or used car?” When posing this question to a group of friends, you may get a hung jury. What’s best for Bob might not be best for Jane, and vice versa. The decision to buy a new or used car essentially boils down to your personality, situation, and finances. Let’s run through some of the benefits of each option. By the end of this list, we hope that a clear car-buying route will pop into view. (And if it doesn’t, you can always ask for help from our Chevy dealership in Overland Park).
The Pros of Buying a New Car
If you’re the type who enjoys that new-car smell, buying a new car makes sense. But you should follow the guidance of more than just your nostrils when choosing a vehicle. It’s a big purchase—think it through. For your consideration, here are some benefits that come with buying your new car.
- Curb Appeal (literally) – There may be no better way to show off your sense of style than a new car. Sure, a suit and tie or designer purse might help you snag that new job, but there’s something about a shiny new car that makes you feel prepared for anything life hands you.
- Reliability – New vehicles come with manufacturer warranties that cover most issues unrelated to driver error. With one of our new Chevy models, you’ll get a full bumper-to-bumper limited warranty for up to three years or 46,000 miles, as well as a powertrain warranty with coverage up to five years or 60,000 miles. Extended warranties are also available, as is roadside assistance. Even with the warranties, your new car probably won’t need more than regular maintenance during its first 100,000 miles.
- Newest Features – Buying a new car means staying linked to the modern world. New tech features are fitted everywhere from the dash to the instrument panel to the trunk, so you can always find convenience with the snap of a finger. Take the 2017 Chevy Cruze as an example, with its standard MyLink infotainment system and 7-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, optional built-in 4G LTE WiFi, and versatile 60/40 rear seat. Yeah, it’s really that packed with convenient features, and available today at our Overland Park Chevy dealership.
- Customized Packages – To take advantage of the best optional features, accessories, and tech, you might want to consider upgrading to a higher trim level and package. When you buy a used car, you get what you get, and you don’t throw a fit—thanks, Mom—but choosing a new car means you can customize it with all the proverbial bells and whistles available.
- Fuel Efficiency – Volatile gas prices make fuel efficiency numbers more important than in past years. Modern technology has made it possible for cars to go farther on less fuel, meaning less money out of your pockets. So if your daily commute takes a toll on your gas card, consider a new car. According to kbb.com, two of the top three most fuel-efficient sedans of 2017 come from Chevrolet: The 2017 Chevy Volt and the 2017 Chevy Malibu. Those are good vehicles to start your search.
- Clean Vehicle History – Even though we stand behind our used cars to be extremely reliable, not all dealers are as honest as McCarthy/Morse Chevrolet. If you attempt to buy from a private seller, you might not have the same luck. Who knows what steps they took to get their grubby fingers on your cash? Buying new eliminates that risk of leaving with a lemon because you are always given a vehicle with a clean bill of health.
- Safety Features – Protect yourself on the road—heck, even in the parking lot or driveway—with new safety features. Unlike older cars, most late-model vehicles and 2017 Chevys come with technology like rearview cameras, parking assist, blind-zone alerts, collision warnings, electronic stability control, and more. With many of the 2017 Chevrolet models, you’ll even find Teen Driver technology that helps parents keep track of and put restrictions on their teenager.
- Low-Interest Financing & Leases – Buying a new car isn’t as expensive as you might think. With low-interest auto loans, new car deals, and lease incentives, being a new-car owner is easier than ever before.
The Pros of Buying a Used Car
A used car is an incredible value, plain and simple. If you like performing your own maintenance and keeping costs down while also investing in your future, make sure to check out your local dealers’ selection of pre-owned cars, trucks, SUVs, and vans. Here are a few perks to buying a used car.
- Great Bargain – When you decide to go with a used car, you take advantage of the original owner already paying its depreciation value. What you get is a vehicle that costs a fraction of its market price and likely has low mileage. At our Overland Park used car dealership, you’ll also find incredible used car specials on hundreds of pre-owned vehicles in our inventory.
- Extra Costs – Purchasing a used car also means you pay less in sales tax, dealership fees, registration costs, and insurance premiums.
- Less Depreciation – You’ve probably heard that a new car loses value once it exits the dealership lot, but that’s not the case with a used car. Because it’s already depreciated considerably, a used car won’t lose as much annual resale value.
- Perfect First Car – If your teen has their learner’s permit, now’s a good time to consider a used car. Keep your new SUV in the garage and give them a reliable older model for their road adventures. Just make sure they keep up with maintenance by visiting a qualified service center!
- Fix It Up – Whether you’re a novice mechanic or want to show your son or daughter the vehicular ropes, a pre-owned car could be the perfect teaching tool. Consider finding an older Chevy Corvette or Camaro for your garage-time hobby.
- Modern Features – Although the newest models come with the fanciest of features, you should be able to find late-model used cars, SUVs, and vans with much of the same tech.
- Certified Pre-Owned – A certified pre-owned vehicle is certainly one of the best buys in the automotive world. A used car must meet specific manufacturer requirements to be labeled as certified, meaning inspections and reconditioning work are completed by qualified technicians. At McCarthy/Morse Chevrolet, each certified used Chevy in our inventory is also backed by a comprehensive 100,000-mile powertrain warranty and maintenance program. All for less than a new car.
Choose the Perfect Car at McCarthy/Morse Chevy near Kansas City
As one of the premier Chevy dealers near Kansas City, McCarthy/Morse Chevrolet is ready to help you decide on the ideal new Chevy or used car. Swing by our dealership showroom at 9201 Metcalf Ave in Overland Park, KS, or call us at 913-440-0099 to schedule a test drive. We serve the entire Overland Park area, including Shawnee, Leawood, and Kansas City.