Chevrolet kicked things off at the 2018 NAIAS event with its official introduction of the all-new 2019 Chevy Silverado, which is an astounding 450 pounds lighter than its predecessor thanks to the ingenious use of mixed materials — steel and aluminum, specifically. That translates into better fuel efficiency.
Another first? The 2019 Silverado will be available with a Duramax 3.0-liter turbo-diesel engine (options for the Silverado 1500 HD and Silverado medium-duty, which will be revealed in March). Two other engines will also be available — 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V8s with industry-first technology that can disable up to seven cylinders when not needed, which would significantly improve fuel efficiency.
But power isn’t all the 2019 Silverado has.
The Critics Sat Up & Took Notice
Of course, the critics were on hand for all NAIAS unveilings, and Motor Trend has already piped in with what most impressed them about the new Silverado. Here’s their list of “surprises and delights”:
- Nearly 7 extra inches of bed space.
- In-bed 110-volt outlet that can handle almost 400 watts.
- Improved bumper steps that are now wider and tall enough to accommodate a work boot.
- New Gurney flap (named after racing legend Dan Gurney), which is part of the reason for the improvement in the 2019 Silverado’s drag coefficient of 7%.
- The Gurney’s “partner,” which is the Silverado’s CHoiler. What’s a CHoiler, you ask? Good question. It’s an ingenious, molded plastic spoiler designed to “talk” with the Gurney flap to manage airflow over the truck.
- Four inches of additional wheelbase that translates into extra head and legroom inside the Silverado.
- Extra rear-seat storage via compartments in the outboard seat backs.
- Rear air conditioning ducts in the center console for every trim level.
- Front air dams and curtains that are removable for four-wheeling, if desired.
The guys from TRUCKS.COM also had high praise for the new 2019 Chevy Silverado, noting that the new Silverado “incorporates proven technologies that revolve around toughness and capability.” They point to the truck’s lighter weight, stronger steel bed, additional bed tie-downs, new safety and infotainment features, and the choice of 3 engines, including the new diesel, which Chevy expects to deliver best-in-class performance.
Style Plus What You Really Want in a Great Truck
Automobile Magazine says that the 2018 NAIAS Show marked the start of what might be “the year of the truck,” and the 2019 Chevy Silverado is delivering in a big way for those who want a rugged, no-nonsense, comfortable and tech-savvy pickup this year.
The new Silverado will come with a stronger, lightweight steel bed. It’ll have 12 fixed tie-downs, whose strength has doubled to 500 pounds of force before bending. It’ll offer the most cargo volume, with the short-box offering 63 cubic feet of volume — up to 20% more than a competitor’s short-box.
Yes, Chevy’s engineers have made sure that the new Silverado is a workhorse, no matter what trim level you choose.
Pick Your Favorite Package
And speaking of trims, Chevy will offer the Silverado in eight different models, including a new LT Trail Boss variant that will give off-road pickups from RAM and Ford some serious competition. Each model, beginning with the base WT — short for “work truck” — builds off the previous one, and options include things like:
- an EZ-Lift tailgate
- heavy-duty suspension
- 20-inch chrome wheels
- all-terrain tires
- remote keyless entry
- high-capacity air cleaner
- high-tech infotainment features including OnStar and Sirius Radio
- Bose® premium-performance radio
- enhanced driver assist package
- perforated and heated leather seats
- heated steering wheel
And that’s just the tip of the Silverado-shaped iceberg! In the “year of the truck,” Chevy will surely deliver the goods with its upcoming 2019 Silverado.
Although the 2019 model is certain to be a classic, don’t look past the 2018 Silverado if you need a durable pickup this year. Visit our Lee’s Summit Chevy dealer to browse all trim levels of the current Silverado and learn more about our Chevrolet truck deals. Just contact us at (816) 875-4678 to schedule a test drive. Our Chevrolet dealership serves customers all over Kansas City, including Independence and Blue Springs, MO.
Sources & Photos: